Welcome to Swefling Parish Council
For historical reasons, Swefling only has one ‘f’ when referring to the Parish Council.
Swefling Parish Council has 7 Parish Councillors. Parish Councillors are unpaid, elected (or co-opted) members of the local community with an interest in improving village life.
The most recent elections were held in May 2019 and Parish Councillors were elected for a 4 year term or have been co-opted until the end of the council term in May 2024.
Names, contact details and the responsibilities of the Parish Councillors are detailed here:
- Cllr John Stanley (Chairperson);
- Cllr Jude Chin;
- Cllr Julia Kinsey;
- Cllr Audrey Lummis;
- Cllr, Professor John Tesh;
- Cllr Martin Wyard; and
- Erika Spall (Co-opted 01 April 2021).
The Parish Council’s responsibilities include:
- Finance – We are responsible for the approval and monitoring of Council expenditure, annually analysing future funding requirements and recommending the precept to be raised. also arranging insurance of parish property, loans and donations and other associated activities requiring finance.
- Parish assets – The Council looks after Jubilee Field and its ply/exercising equipment, the village sign, the notice-board and the Village’s three historic grass triangles together with other assets. An up to date list of assets is maintained and published on this website.
- Planning — The Parish Council receives and considers all Planning Applications relating to the Parish. Recommendations from the Council either in support of the application or as objections, are passed to East Suffolk Council who, as Planning Authority, take note of these comments in their determination of the application. A full list of planning applications considered by the Parish Council can be viewed on East Suffolk Council Planning Portal
- Highways – The Parish Council liaises with the local highway authority on matters such as road condition, drainage and cleaning, signposting etc.
Councillors’ Register of Interests can be viewed at *SCDC link*
The Parish Council has adopted the *Suffolk Local Code of Conduct*
The Parish Clerk is the Proper Officer of the Parish Council and is an employee. He is also the Responsible Financial Officer. The current clerk is Michael Smithson of Poplar Farm Barn, Holdens Lane Sweffling, Saxmundham IP17 2BW. Please contact the Parish Clerk if you have any questions relating to the operation of the Parish Council.
Tel: 01728 663730: or