Remember you can use 999 in an emergency as well as 112
For non urgent calls please use 101
Suffolk Careline A New Emergency: Responder Service for Suffolk
Suffolk Careline is a new service that will enable vulnerable Suffolk residents to call for immediate assistance at the touch of a button. Clients can have the choice of who responds to their call, either a relative or friend, or a qualified member of the Suffolk Careline staff. The service is available 24 hours a day seven days a week and aims to respond in person within 45 minutes. If the nature of the call is more serious the emergency services can also be dispatched.The Suffolk Careline service which is available throughout the county is designed to complement other public sector services already in operation such as the Primary Care Trusts and the East of England Ambulance Trust. The service will help to increase and maintain a person’s level of independence for longer. The service is suitable for anyone but will be of particular importance to:
People living alone
Other vulnerable adults, as part of a care package
Family carers that want some additional support
People interested in knowing more about the service can contact Suffolk Careline by: Email- firstname.lastname@example.org or Tel: 08456007724
Fed up with junk mail?
Register with the Mailing Preference Service and remove your name and address from 95% of mailing lists. Call 0845 703 4599 or register online at www.mpsonline.org.uk
Several options of transport available locally
SuffolkCarShare.com can help you find someone to share your journey with. Log onto www.suffolkcarshare.com/
Coastal Accessible Transport Service CATS runs door to door Dial-A Ride service for wheelchair users and people with mobility problems related to sight, hearing and frailty.
Please ring 01728 830516
Community Car Scheme – offers a car service run by volunteers for visits to doctors or hospital etc. Mileage payable.
Please ring 01728 831215
Another scheme is the Ipswich hospital car sharing scheme for journeys to the hospital.
To find out more information click here www.hospitalrides.co.uk
Town Travels – a Taxi service for the price of a bus fare. Priovides transport from villages to local transport connections between 8am and 6pm. Organised by SCC and WRVS.
To book telephone between 9.30am and 13.30pm Mondays to Fridays
Please ring 01473 211210
Mow and Grow – Suffolk Coastal
Offer a heavily discounted rate of £10 per garden to
vulnerable and elderly people, those in receipt of certain benefits and community groups: with a competitive rate to individuals and businesses
If you wish to contact them 01728 831230 or email email@example.com
Advice: Thatched Roofs
If you have a thatched property:
- Insulate the chimney flue to prevent heat transfer onto the thatch material from the chimney.
- Have the chimney swept regularly by a qualified chimney sweep.
- Only burn seasoned wood.
- Have the chimney inspected by a qualified chimney engineer.
- If you have a spark arrestor fitted have it cleaned regularly every three months or so.
- Develop a fire plan for your home and ensure that the whole family understand this.
- Install smoke alarms throughout your home and in the loft space.
- Install a fire blanket in the kitchen.
- Check the electrical system throughout your home.
- Be very careful when using blowtorches or heat guns near the thatched roof.
- Restrict the use of bonfires or fireworks near to your property.
- Consider installing heat sensors within the thatch around the chimney.
- Install an outside tap with enough hose to reach the roof around the house.
- In you are carrying out renovation work or re-roofing, consider forming a fireproof barrier between roof timbers and the thatch roof.
Local Community Groups in the IP17 Postcode
Another group which has recently been established to look a the facilities available in Saxmundham and surrounding villages is;